Wine & Dine
The carnival midway isn't just about great food but has a vast selection of wine options for your pairing pleasure! From red wine with a Big Rib to champagne with caramel apples, any fair food item can be made "gourmet" on the midway! Please check out any of the wine gardens at one of your local fairs for more recommendations.
Red wine is a type of wine made from dark-colored (black) grape varieties. The actual color of wine can range from intense violet, typical of young wines, through to brick red for mature wines and brown for older red wines. Some of the most popular red wines are cabernet, merlot, and pinot noir. Here are some great fair foods your can pair with various red wine.
- Cabernet Sauvignon: The Big Rib, Hamburgers, Bacon Wrapped Pork Belly
- Pinot Noir: Turkey Legs, Giant Curly Fries, Red Velvet Funnel Cake
- Merlot: Giant Sour Dough, Bacon Cotton Candy, Smoked Sausages, Corn Dog
- Zinfandel: The Big Rib, Italian and Smoked Sausage
- San Giovese: Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza
- Port: Deep Fried Red Velvet Cake
- Syrah Viognier: The Big Rib
White wine is a type of wine produced by the fermentation of the non-colored pulp of grapes, which may have a skin of any color. The color of the wine varies from a deep golden yellow to a light almost clear pigment. White wines can vary from dry to buttery to sweet. White wine pairs great with white meats, fish, dairy, and carbs. Here are some popular white wines you can fair with a variety of carnival creations!
- Chardonnay: Pizza, Fried Foods, Turkey Legs, Chicken and Waffles, Roasted Corn,
- Sauvignon Blanc: All salads, Pasta, Fish Tacos, Corn on the Cob, Big Chic on a stick, Chicken Kabob, Italian and smoked sausage
- Riesling: Cotton Candy, Funnel Cake, Deep Fried Desserts, Turkey Leg,
- Viognier: Roasted Corn, Big Chic on a Stick, Chicken Kabob
- Moscato: Funnel Cake
- White Zinfandel: Corn Dog
Sparkling wine is a wine with significant levels of carbon dioxide which makes it fizzy. The best known example of a sparkling wine is champagne, which is exclusively produced in the Champagne region of France. However, there are many amazing sparkling wines produced around the world including here in the United States. Most sparkling wine is white or rose. The acid in sparkling wines are great for cutting fat and sweetness in food. This makes it an ideal option for pairing with foods at the carnival!
- Sparkling Wine: Popcorn, Cotton Candy, Funnel Cakes, Fried Candy Bars, Corn Dogs
- Sparkling Moscato: Bacon Cotton Candy, Choc Covered Bacon, Funnel Cake
- Sparkling Rosé: Deep Fried Red Velvet Cake